Prep 2 hrs
Cook 45 mins
I can't remember where I got this recipe, but it's a good one. This will really impress your friends for a summer time BBQ- takes some effort but so much of it can be done in advance and then you grill the seafood at the last minute. You can simplify this, too, by omitting some of the seafoods or any of the ingredients you aren't in the mood for. If you're not into Nicoise salads, the dressing alone is a recipe worth trying.
- 6 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1⁄4 cups olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, sliced paper thin
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups flat leaf parsley, loosely packed and chopped
- 1 cup mixed herbs, chopped (chives, basil, tarragon)
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- freshly ground sea salt, to taste
- black pepper
- water, enough to make to a good consistency
- fresh parmesan cheese, chunked
- 1 lb fresh tuna, cut into 6 inch pieces
- 12 large shrimp, cut lengthwise
- 12 large sea scallops
- 1 lb green beans, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large squash, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 3 roma tomatoes, quartered
- 2 yellow tomatoes, quartered
- 5 eggs, hard-boiled,peeled,and halved
- 1 head red leaf lettuce, torn into bite size pieces
- 10 anchovy fillets, packed in oil
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, fried crisp
- 1 cup drained nicoise olive
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into rings
- 2 lbs tiny new potatoes, scrubbed
- combine all ingredients in a jar with a tight fitting lid and shake until combined.
- Must be done at least 6 hours in advance.
- Let stand at room temperature.
- Brush seafood with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Marinate red pepper and squash in a little salad dressing.
- Quarter new potatoes and boil 15 minutes; toss in enough dressing to coat.
- Steam or boil green beans 5 minutes and toss in a little dressing.
- Grill seafood and red pepper and squash.
- On a very large platter, place the potatoes in the center, surrounded by the green beans.
- Surround this with the shredded lettuce.
- Place the grilled seafood and vegetables atop the lettuce.
- Arrange eggs, bacon, olives, cheese, and tomatoes on platter.
- Place one anchovy fillet atop each half of egg.
- Salt and pepper the entire dish and drizzle with the remaining dressing.
- Let guests serve themselves from center of table.
Not at all traditional, but I liked it a lot. I used white wine vinegar instead of the apple cider vinegar.