California Nicoise Salad
photo by dianegrapegrower
- Ready In:
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 3 cups green beans, cooked and chilled
- 4 tomatoes, quartered
- 2 cups canned solid albacore tuna, chilled
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olive, pitted
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and quartered
- 6 anchovy fillets
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, minced
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 3⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Blend vinegar, water, salt, garlic powder, pepper, mustard and basil thoroughly.
- Beat in the oil.
- Line a shallow bowl or dish with the large outer leaves of lettuce.
- Break remaining lettuce into bowl and toss with 2 tbls of the dressing.
- Separately season beans, tomatoes and tuna with dressing and arrange ove lettuce.
- Garnish with olives, eggs and anchovies.
- Pour 1/2 to 3/4 dressing over all and sprinkle with the herbs.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>My favorite cookbook, well I guess I have 3...The Way to Cook, by Julia Child, the Low Fat Living Cookbook and The California Wine Country Cookbook II. I am retired, due to no longer being able to work because of complications from the Crohns Disease I have lived with since 1971. For a while I didn't even do any cooking or knitting since the inflammatory arthrisis (secondary to the Crohns) was too painful in my hands and feet. Fortunately I am now on a drug protocol that seems to be working, but I am still not able to be as productive as I would like. Still can't work, but I am cooking and knitting again. My husband and I moved to Surprise, Arizona at the end of January 2005. My husband is retired from being in the wine business. I love to cook (and we love to eat) and am always looking for new recipies to try. Due to a slight blood sugar problem my husband has to stick to a diet that eliminates sugars and bad carbs, so I have had to modify a lot of the recipes we like. I love Recipezaar, as I have found so many good, healthy recipes here. I hope you enjoy the recipes that I post as much as I have enjoyed the new ones I've found here.</p>