Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 mins
Make ahead and chill well. This colorful salad keeps for several days. Excellent fall and winter salad or side dish. Try it on hot dogs for a tasty change of pace.
- 2 cups red cabbage, shredded
- 2 cups green cabbage, shredded
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, coarsely grated
- 1 cup coarsely grated raw turnip
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup white vinegar or 3⁄4 cup wine vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 pinch dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- Mix vegetables together in large bowl.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Pour liquid mixture over the vegetables.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Chill several hours before serving.
I usually make the creamy kind of coleslaw,but decided to try this,Yum,We really liked this. Wonderful sweet and sour taste.almost hot,The turnips I think. Thanks so much,Great recipe. Darlene Summers