I got this reduced-calorie recipe from Family Circle magazine. According to the magazine, "English cooks made the original fools with pureed gooseberries folded into whipped cream, but mixed berries are also irresistible." The prep time does not include 50 minutes for freezing.
- In small saucepan, combine raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, orange juice and sugar.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-high and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Carefully add fruit mixture to food processor and puree until smooth.
- Strain through a fine mesh strainer and place in the freezer for about 50 minutes, or until very cold.
- Place thawed whipped topping in a medium-size bowl; fold in yogurt and cooled fruit puree until just combined.
- Serve immediately.
- Garnish with berries, if desired.
WOW. I used frozen mixed berries, unsweetened orange juice, Splenda for the sugar and fat free-no sugar added vanilla yogurt (couldn't find diet berry yogurt). It turned out to be something that I would not think twice about serving to guests. This is light as a cloud. I made the berry puree in the morning and chilled it in the fridge until dessert time and then mixed it up in almost no time at all. What a lovely treat. Made for Newest Zaar Tag.