Recipe by Mercy
A traditional Kentucky Derby day treat! This refrigerated mint syrup will last for months.
Directions See How It's Made
- To make simple syrup, combine sugar and 1 cup water in a saucepan.
- Place over high heat and bring to a boil, stirring the mixture to dissolve the sugar.
- Boil 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add washed mint (still on the stem, just stir it all in).
- Set aside for 24 hours.
- Strain the mixture into a jar and discard the mint.
- Chill julep cups or glasses in the freezer before making juleps.
- Fill them with crushed ice.
- Add 1 1/2 teaspoons of mint syrup and 2 ounces of bourbon.
- Garnish with sprigs of mint, if desired.