Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Laural contributed this one.
- 12 ounces bacon (diced)
- 4 medium white mushrooms (chopped)
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup evaporated milk or 1⁄4 cup half-and-half cream
- 6 ounces shredded swiss cheese
- 1⁄2 cup corn flake crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp but not burned. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain and cool. Remove all but a tablespoon of the bacon fat from the skillet and saute the mushrooms and onions until tender. Allow to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, mix the beef, egg, and milk. Add the mushroom/onion mixture, all but a few spoonfuls of the swiss cheese and all but one tablespoons of the bacon bits. Add the corn flake crumbs and mix well until blended. Shape into a loaf and place in a large loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 for about an hour, or until cooked through.
- Drain fat from the pan and sprinkle the reserved cheese and bacon on top. Bake an additional 5 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing. Yield: 4 to 6 servings.
- I put these into Texas size muffin pans to make individual portions.