Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
From the book "The Essential Fingerfood Cookbook" these sound especially tasty. Posted for safekeeping. NOTE: Prep time does NOT include 30 minute chill time.
- 2 eggs
- 11 ounces canned crabmeat, drained
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped (see note)
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons sweet chili sauce
- 1 1⁄4 cups fresh white breadcrumbs
- canola oil, for shallow frying
- 2 ripe roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small red onion, fine dice
- 1 large avocado, fine dice
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh chervil, leaves minced (can substitute parsley or tarragon )
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar (granulated sugar)
- kosher sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Beat the eggs lightly in a bowl.
- Add the crab meat, spring onion, mayonnaise, sweet chili sauce and breadcrumbs and stir well.
- Season, then cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- To make the avocado salsa, combine all the ingredients in a bowl, season with kosher sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, and toss gently to combine.
- Using wet hands, form the crab mixture into 20 small flat cakes.
- Heat about 1 1/4 inches oil in a large heavy-based pan and cook the crab cakes over medium heat for about 3 minutes each side, or until golden brown on both sides.
- Drain well on paper towels or brown paper, and serve immediately, with avocado salsa to spoon onto the top.
- NOTE: In America, what we term as the Spring onion has a slightly more and defined bulb and is typically larger than the slender and more delicate green onion (scallion). The flavor has more bite and is somewhat hotter.
- IN ADVANCE: the crab mixture can be made a day ahead, then covered and refrigerated. Prepare the salsa close to serving time.
This was fantastic! I loved the avocado salsa, and paired with the crab-cakes made a wonderful addition. The only change I had was adding 1/2 teaspoon of "Old Bay" to the crabcakes, well....truthfully, you can't live in Maryland and not add it, or else your Maryland license is taken away. :) I made mine 2 hours ahead to firm up the crabcake, and it was quite delightful! made for ZWT7
These crab cakes were nice served with the avocado salsa, a really nice combination. I felt that the crab cakes themselves could have used a bit more flavour, perhaps some worchester sauce or some hot sauce. Made for PRMR