Mmmmm minestrone soup! I made this recipe as part of a school project where i made a cookbook and I just found the recipe and thought i'd post it because it's really yummy! Looking at it now it would be a great recipe to make with kids because there's a lot of vegetable chopping and stirring which is always fun! You can substitute in vegetable stock to make it vegetarian.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced (no need to peel them, and it will also add some more nutrients!)
- 110 g celery, diced
- 1 (400 ml) can canned tomatoes
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 liters chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 leek, sliced
- 110 g green beans, chopped
- 1/2 medium cauliflower or 1/2 large cauliflower, chopped into small florets
- 1/2 medium broccoli or 1/2 large broccoli, chopped into small florets
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 110 g pumpkin, diced
- 1 (420 g) can cannellini beans, drained
- 1Heat oil in a large heavy based pot. Add the onion, carrot and celery and season with pepper. Saute for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and a pinch of sugar and bring to the boil. Stir in the garlic and simmer on a low heat for 5 minutes.
- 2Add the stock and the bay leaves. Bring to the boil before adding in the leeks, green beans and pumpkin. Cover and simmer on a gentle heat for a further 5 minutes.
- 3Add the cauliflower, broccoli and zucchini. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- 4Add a desired amount of parsley, rosemary and oregano (I find about a tablespoon of each works for me, but alter to suit your tastes. Season with pepper if desired. Stir in the cannellini beans, bring to the boil, then return to a simmer for a further 5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings in necessary. Serve with fresh grain bread.
- 5*Note: Extra liquid may need to be added. If this is a case use a little bit of water for small quantities, but for bigger amounts (say more than one cup) ideally add some more stock.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Minestrone Soup
Serving Size: 1 (567 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 383.4
- Calories from Fat 124
- Total Fat 13.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 10.1 mg
- Sodium 639.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.0 g
- Sugars 12.9 g
- Protein 19.9 g