Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep1 hr 30 mins
Cook1 hr 30 mins
The original mincemeat. According to the cookbook, mincemeat pie was always served hot. From the New England chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Institute of Chicago, 1947
- 4 lbs beef, diced
- 2 lbs beef suet
- 2 lbs granulated sugar
- 2 lbs seedless raisins, chopped
- 1 lb currants
- 4 lbs apples, peeled and chopped fine
- 1⁄2 lb citron, minced
- 1⁄2 lb candied lemon peel, minced
- 1 orange, zest of, only, grated
- 2 lemons, zest of, only, grated
- 1 nutmeg, grated
- 1 tablespoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice (from the oranges you grated)
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice (from the lemons you grated)
- 4 cups hard alcoholic cider
- 2 cups brandy
- Boil the meat and suet together until tender; drain and cool.
- Force through a food chopper (or quickly whirl in food processor).
- Mix all the remaining ingredients together except the brandy and cook for 90 minutes.
- Add the brandy, pour into sterilized jars within 1 inch of the top.
- Put on cap, screw band FIRMLY TIGHT.
- Process 25 minutes at 10 pounds pressure.
- Let canner cool and unlock before removing jars.