1 hr 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
The original mincemeat. According to the cookbook, mincemeat pie was always served hot. From the New England chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Institute of Chicago, 1947
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs beef, diced
- 2 lbs beef suet
- 2 lbs granulated sugar
- 2 lbs seedless raisins, chopped
- 1 lb currants
- 4 lbs apples, peeled and chopped fine
- 1/2 lb citron, minced
- 1/2 lb candied lemon peel, minced
- 1 orange, zest of, only, grated
- 2 lemons, zest of, only, grated
- 1 nutmeg, grated
- 1 tablespoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup orange juice (from the oranges you grated)
- 1/2 cup lemon juice (from the lemons you grated)
- 4 cups hard alcoholic cider
- 2 cups brandy
- 1Boil the meat and suet together until tender; drain and cool.
- 2Force through a food chopper (or quickly whirl in food processor).
- 3Mix all the remaining ingredients together except the brandy and cook for 90 minutes.
- 4Add the brandy, pour into sterilized jars within 1 inch of the top.
- 5Put on cap, screw band FIRMLY TIGHT.
- 6Process 25 minutes at 10 pounds pressure.
- 7Let canner cool and unlock before removing jars.
Browse Our Top Fruit Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Fruit Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mincemeat Filling
Serving Size: 1 (8489 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1722.8
- Calories from Fat 695
- Total Fat 77.3 g
- Saturated Fat 41.5 g
- Cholesterol 139.4 mg
- Sodium 319.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 202.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.8 g
- Sugars 177.9 g
- Protein 39.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
oranges, zest of
lemons, zest of
hard alcoholic cider