Miller & Rhoads' was a Richmond institution and their pie was incredible.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 ounce unsweetened baking chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sweetened whipped cream
- chocolate sprinkles or shaved semisweet chocolate
- 1*Uncookedeggs can contain salmonella which can cause severe illness particularly among infants, the elderly and those with compromised immune systems.
- 2If you are concerned about the quality of the eggs you are using, substitute pasteurized liquid eggs.
- 3Crust: Preheat oven to 350°.
- 4Beat butter and granulated sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- 5Gradually mix in just enough crumbs to make a slightly crumbly paste.
- 6Press evenly into a chilled 8- or 9-inch pie plate.
- 7Bake 5 minutes.
- 8Cool to room temperature.
- 9Filling: With an electric mixer, beat butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy.
- 10Add melted chocolate with salt and vanilla.
- 11Add one egg and beat for no less than 5 minutes.
- 12Add second egg and beat no less than 5 minutes longer.
- 13Add third egg and beat no less than 5 minutes longer.
- 14Pour filling into prepared shell and refrigerate 24 hours.
- 15Garnish: Just before serving, decorate top with sweetened whipped cream and sprinkle with chocolate.
- 16Makes 8 servings.
- 17Note: Don't try to take a shortcut with this recipe.
- 18Beating no less than 5 minutes after adding each egg is the secret.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Miller & Rhoads' Chocolate Silk Pie
Serving Size: 1 (111 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 469.0
- Calories from Fat 288
- Total Fat 32.1 g
- Saturated Fat 18.7 g
- Cholesterol 142.1 mg
- Sodium 269.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 31.3 g
- Protein 4.9 g