Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 35 mins
Cook 5 mins
Miller & Rhoads' was a Richmond institution and their pie was incredible.
Make and share this Miller & Rhoads' Chocolate Silk Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 3⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 ounce unsweetened baking chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sweetened whipped cream
- chocolate sprinkles or shaved semisweet chocolate
- *Uncookedeggs can contain salmonella which can cause severe illness particularly among infants, the elderly and those with compromised immune systems.
- If you are concerned about the quality of the eggs you are using, substitute pasteurized liquid eggs.
- Crust: Preheat oven to 350°.
- Beat butter and granulated sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Gradually mix in just enough crumbs to make a slightly crumbly paste.
- Press evenly into a chilled 8- or 9-inch pie plate.
- Bake 5 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature.
- Filling: With an electric mixer, beat butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add melted chocolate with salt and vanilla.
- Add one egg and beat for no less than 5 minutes.
- Add second egg and beat no less than 5 minutes longer.
- Add third egg and beat no less than 5 minutes longer.
- Pour filling into prepared shell and refrigerate 24 hours.
- Garnish: Just before serving, decorate top with sweetened whipped cream and sprinkle with chocolate.
- Makes 8 servings.
- Note: Don't try to take a shortcut with this recipe.
- Beating no less than 5 minutes after adding each egg is the secret.