1/2 Photos of Mildly Curried Turkey Barley Dish (Rice Cooker)
1 hr 30 mins
This is a mild, slightly sweet dish I concocted because I wanted to combine an Acorn squash with some ground turkey and barley. Barley is my new favorite grain, this is a very healthy combo! Note: You can probably put the diced squash in uncooked and it will cook with the rest of the food, but I wasn't brave enough to try it on my first attempt. My research found that steamed squash can cook in 25 minutes, so it should have plenty of time to cook in this dish without pre-nuking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cut squash in half and put in microwave dish, cut sides down. Nuke covered for 5 minutes on high in 1/4" of water.
- 2Turn on rice cooker (regular switch or quick steam) and cook turkey and onion together. When turkey is browned, drain off fat.
- 3Remove squash from microwave. Careful, it is hot! Score the squash flesh vertically and horizontally to make 1 inch squares. Scoop out squash cubes into cooker.
- 4Add rest of ingredients to cooker. Stir to combine.
- 5Set rice cooker to "brown rice" setting and cook until done. If you have a one button cooker, turn it on and check when done. You may need to do 1.5 cycles to fully cook the barley.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mildly Curried Turkey Barley Dish (Rice Cooker)
Serving Size: 1 (331 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 300.9
- Calories from Fat 62
- Total Fat 6.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 52.1 mg
- Sodium 277.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.8 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 20.8 g