This is a mild, slightly sweet dish I concocted because I wanted to combine an Acorn squash with some ground turkey and barley. Barley is my new favorite grain, this is a very healthy combo! Note: You can probably put the diced squash in uncooked and it will cook with the rest of the food, but I wasn't brave enough to try it on my first attempt. My research found that steamed squash can cook in 25 minutes, so it should have plenty of time to cook in this dish without pre-nuking.
- Cut squash in half and put in microwave dish, cut sides down. Nuke covered for 5 minutes on high in 1/4" of water.
- Turn on rice cooker (regular switch or quick steam) and cook turkey and onion together. When turkey is browned, drain off fat.
- Remove squash from microwave. Careful, it is hot! Score the squash flesh vertically and horizontally to make 1 inch squares. Scoop out squash cubes into cooker.
- Add rest of ingredients to cooker. Stir to combine.
- Set rice cooker to "brown rice" setting and cook until done. If you have a one button cooker, turn it on and check when done. You may need to do 1.5 cycles to fully cook the barley.