Cook3 hrs 30 mins
This is the recipe for chili that I grew up with. A great fall & winter recipe!
Make and share this Midwest Chili recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 (6 ounce) tomato paste
- 1 (16 ounce) kidney beans (do not rinse or drain) or 1 (16 ounce) chili beans (do not rinse or drain)
- 12 ounces V8 vegetable juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 (32 ounce) can whole tomatoes (cut into chunks)
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup elbow macaroni, raw
- In a dutch oven, brown the ground beef with onion and celery and drain any excess fat from the meat.
- Add remaining ingredients (tomato paste through 4 cups of water) EXCEPT macaroni.
- Simmer for at least 3 hours.
- Prepare the macaroni according to package directions (cook in additional salted water).
- Drain macaroni and add to chili.
- Simmer this mixture for an additional 15 to 30 minutes.
Yes, it is SO midwest...from whence I come. And I love it. Pure comfort food; mild and satisfying. With Fritos, of COURSE. :-)