Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Recipe is from Food Network - sounds so nice and healthy.
Make and share this Middle Eastern Rice & Lentils recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups carrots, shredded (about 4)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups basmati rice
- 1 (15 ounce) can lentils, drained and rinsed
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat greek plain yogurt
- fresh cilantro, chopped for garnish
- Toss the carrots with the lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoons each cumin and salt, and a few grinds of black pepper in a bowl; set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until deep golden brown, about 12 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove about half of the onion to a paper towel-lined plate; set aside.
- Add the garlic, cinnamon, cayenne and the remaining 1 3/4 teaspoons cumin to the pan with the remaining onion. Cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in the rice and 3/4 teaspoons salt. Add 2 1/2 cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook until the rice is tender and the water is absorbed, about 18 minutes.
- Stir the lentils into the rice. Serve topped with the reserved carrot mixture and onion, the yogurt and cilantro.