Recipe by DailyInspiration
Recipe is from Food Network - sounds so nice and healthy.
Top Review by stgmngrjan
Easy and very delicious. I had already made some lime-cilantro rice so used that, but did everything else. The warm, spiced lentils and rice are wonderful with the fresh cold carrot mixture on top. I'll use this again and again.<br/>Thanks,<br/>Jan
- 2 cups carrots, shredded (about 4)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1⁄4 cups basmati rice
- 1 (15 ounce) can lentils, drained and rinsed
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat greek plain yogurt
- fresh cilantro, chopped for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Toss the carrots with the lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoons each cumin and salt, and a few grinds of black pepper in a bowl; set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring often, until deep golden brown, about 12 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove about half of the onion to a paper towel-lined plate; set aside.
- Add the garlic, cinnamon, cayenne and the remaining 1 3/4 teaspoons cumin to the pan with the remaining onion. Cook, stirring, 1 minute. Stir in the rice and 3/4 teaspoons salt. Add 2 1/2 cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook until the rice is tender and the water is absorbed, about 18 minutes.
- Stir the lentils into the rice. Serve topped with the reserved carrot mixture and onion, the yogurt and cilantro.