Middle Eastern Lentils and Rice With Caramelized Shallots
- Ready In:
- Paritally cook the lentils in a saucepan of salted boiling water for 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Heat 1tbs of the oilive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the shallots and cook, stirring frequently, until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Remove half of the shallots from the skillet and set aside.
- Add the lentils to the skillet and stir in the cumin, coriander, paprika and salt and pepper to taste. Add the rice and water, bring to a boil and cook, uncovered, until the lentils are tender and the rice is cooked, about 30 minutes. Remove from the heat, cover and set aside for 10 to 15 minutes while you finish cooking the reserved shallots.
- Heat the remaining 1 tbs of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the reserved shallots and cook until browned and caramelized, about 5 minutes.
- Place the rice and lentil mixture in a large serving bowl and top with the crisp shallots. Serve hot.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I love, love, love to cook. Most of all I love to cook for friends and family because it is such an awesome feeling to bring the people that mean the most to me through such an essential ingredient for life... FOOD! I am a vegan the switch opened up the world of cooking in a way I never imagined! People constantly ask me 'what do you eat?' and I can confidently tell them that if they were to leave meat and dairy behind they would find an enormous world of food out there that they have never heard of! And it is all more delicious and nourishing than animal products. My ultimate goal is to shake my 9 to 5 office job and become a caterer or open my own restaurant and I am forever dreaming of my big lottery win that will allow me to do this.</p>