Recipe by bmcnichol
This is a great casserole I have been making for years. I have also included the directions for OAMC.
Top Review by anme
This was a great mirowave recipe. I usd left over chicken from a salad recipe and low sodium chicken broth. The only problem I had was the noodles seemed to be under done even after I microwaved them for a few more additonal minutes and the veggies over cooked. If I was to do this again I would boil the noodles, or used leftover already boiled noodles and add them to the dish after the veggies are cooked. Great recipe if you dont feel like standing over the stove or heating up your kitchen.
- 8 ounces medium egg noodles
- 1 cup water
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 16 ounces frozen broccoli cauliflower red sweet pepper mix, thawed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In 3 quart microwave safe casserole dish, mix noodles, water and chicken broth.
- Cover with lid and microwave on high for 6 minutes, stirring once during cooking.
- Add vegetables, onion, chicken and seasonings.
- Cover and microwave on high for 7-9 minutes, stirring once during cooking, until vegetables are hot,crisp and tender and noodles are tender.
- Stir in half of cheese and mix well.
- Sprinkle casserole with remaining cheese.
- Cook, uncovered, on high for 2-3 minutes until cheese is melted.
- To freeze casserole, do not thaw vegetables.
- Cook noodles as directed above and then cool in refrigerator until cold. Add vegetables, onion, chicken, seasonings, and half of cheese; sprinkle with remaining cheese, wrap well, label, and freeze up to 3 months.
- To thaw and reheat, thaw casserole overnight in refrigerator. Microwave on medium for 3-5 minutes, stirring once. Then microwave on high for 1-3 minutes until noodles and vegetables are tender and casserole is thoroughly heated.