Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a great lasagna for a crowd but the recipe can easily be halved. I always make the entire batch and freeze the leftovers in individual containers for lunches or other quick meals. I tried to make this lasagna healthier but great tasting by using whole-wheat noodles, light cheeses, and ground chicken.
- 1 lb ground chicken or 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 18 whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 2 (5 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 (700 ml) jars fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 cup ragu pasta sauce
- 6 tablespoons ragu pasta sauce
- 2 cups low fat cottage cheese
- 224 g light cheese, grated (I use marble)
- Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain, rinse well, and set aside.
- In large pot, fry ground chicken in a little water until it loses its pink colour. Then add onion, both bell peppers, and spices. Cook covered, on medium heat until veggies are tender. Stir occasionally.
- Add “P.C.” sauce and 1 cup “Ragu”. Stir. Simmer, covered until heated through. Add cottage cheese and tomato paste. Stir. Cover and simmer until cheese and paste are melted through, about 10 minutes.
- Use 2 9"x 13" baking dishes. Spoon few tablespoons of “Ragu” onto bottoms of each pan. Place 3 lasagne noodles in each pan to cover bottom. Spoon sauce on to just cover noodles. Repeat layers using 3 layers of noodles and ending with sauce.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Cover with tinfoil and bake 400º about 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted and lasagne is bubbling. Remove from oven and let sit for about 5 minutes before cutting. Cut each pan into 8 equal pieces. Serve. Extra lasagne can be frozen.