Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1 (1 lb) box elbow macaroni, cooked
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup blond roux (made in advance)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup onion, diced (about 1 large onion)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup Dijon mustard
- 5 cups aged white cheddar cheese, grated (about 20 oz.)
- 6 ounces gorgonzola, crumbled
- 1 3⁄4 cups parmesan cheese, grated (about 7 oz., reserve 1 cup for topping)
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (fresh)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Drain, rinse with cold water and set aside. Blond roux: Melt 1 stick of butter in small saucepan.
- Add 3/4 cup of flour.
- Blend well.
- Cook while stirring constantly, about 3-5 minutes, until flour and butter are well blended and start to dry slightly.
- Reserve for cheese sauce. Cheese sauce: In a large sauce pan, bring milk to simmer over medium heat. Whisk in 1/2 cup of the roux.
- Continue to whisk over heat until smooth and sauce begins to thicken, about 10 minutes.
- Saute diced onion in oil over medium heat until soft. Add onion to roux.
- Next add Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper.
- Whisk to incorporate all ingredients.
- Begin to add cheddar cheese, gradually, in small amounts.
- Whisk constantly to help dissolve. Add remaining cheddar, the Gorgonzola and 3/4 cup of Parmesan.
- Whisk until smooth.
- Mix cheese sauce with cooked macaroni.
- Place in a large buttered oven-proof dish.
- Top with bread crumbs and remaining 1 cup of Parmesan cheese. Bake for about 10 minutes or until hot. To brown, place under the broiler until top is evenly browned; watch carefully.
- Note: The recipe says "8 servings", however it seems more like twelve or more.