Recipe by Stella Mae
Easy corn meal waffles, topped with a quick Mexican mixture for a good meal on its own or accompanied by a green salad. Note: Mexicans do not add sugar to corn meal, so this is not a sweet bread but a savory bread.
- 1 cup flour, sifted
- 1 cup white cornmeal or 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole milk (or can use lowfat or non-fat milk)
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 cups canned tomatoes
- 3⁄4 cup cooked kidney bean
- 3 -4 slices green chilies, canned or fresh,chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- For the waffles: Mix and sift flour, corn meal, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- Beat the egg yolks, add the milk, and combine well with the cornmeal mixture.
- Beat the cornmeal mixture until smooth.
- Add the melted butter to this mixture and mix well.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold into this mixture.
- Bake in a hot waffle iron until golden brown.
- For the topping: Brown the ground beef and chopped onion.
- Add all other ingredients and simmer uncovered at least 20 minutes until topping is rather firm in consistency, not soupy.
- Serve the topping over warm waffles and enjoy!