Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Easy corn meal waffles, topped with a quick Mexican mixture for a good meal on its own or accompanied by a green salad. Note: Mexicans do not add sugar to corn meal, so this is not a sweet bread but a savory bread.
- 1 cup flour, sifted
- 1 cup white cornmeal or 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole milk (or can use lowfat or non-fat milk)
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 cups canned tomatoes
- 3⁄4 cup cooked kidney bean
- 3 -4 slices green chilies, canned or fresh,chopped
- For the waffles: Mix and sift flour, corn meal, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- Beat the egg yolks, add the milk, and combine well with the cornmeal mixture.
- Beat the cornmeal mixture until smooth.
- Add the melted butter to this mixture and mix well.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold into this mixture.
- Bake in a hot waffle iron until golden brown.
- For the topping: Brown the ground beef and chopped onion.
- Add all other ingredients and simmer uncovered at least 20 minutes until topping is rather firm in consistency, not soupy.
- Serve the topping over warm waffles and enjoy!
I used the waffle recipe and served with creamed chicken and broccoli. The kids were doubtful but ate it up!
A fantastic recipe. Even my husband who usually has no opinion on food really liked it. For the waffles, I used whole wheat flour instead of white and added 1/4 cup of ground flax seed- we try to be as healthy as possible. I also added garlic powder and shredded mozzarella to the batter. You can put many things over these waffles. Next time, I'll try a chicken recipe.
Yummy! Similar to chili with cornbread, but the waffles are a nice change. I may try adding a bit more sugar to the waffles next time as my family likes their cornbread on the sweeter side and would have probably enjoyed the waffles more had they been sweeter. I served this with sour cream, shredded cheddar, chopped onions and olives as garnish and it is a keeper.