Stella Mae's Note:
Easy corn meal waffles, topped with a quick Mexican mixture for a good meal on its own or accompanied by a green salad. Note: Mexicans do not add sugar to corn meal, so this is not a sweet bread but a savory bread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup flour, sifted
- 1 cup white cornmeal or 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk (or can use lowfat or non-fat milk)
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1For the waffles: Mix and sift flour, corn meal, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- 2Beat the egg yolks, add the milk, and combine well with the cornmeal mixture.
- 3Beat the cornmeal mixture until smooth.
- 4Add the melted butter to this mixture and mix well.
- 5Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold into this mixture.
- 6Bake in a hot waffle iron until golden brown.
- 7For the topping: Brown the ground beef and chopped onion.
- 8Add all other ingredients and simmer uncovered at least 20 minutes until topping is rather firm in consistency, not soupy.
- 9Serve the topping over warm waffles and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Waffles
Serving Size: 1 (322 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 435.6
- Calories from Fat 161
- Total Fat 17.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.3 g
- Cholesterol 139.9 mg
- Sodium 909.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.3 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 25.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: