1/1 Photo of Mexican Tortilla Meatball Soup
1 hr 15 mins
I got this out of a Sara Moulton cookbook. I have made this several times especially in the winter when soup is my favorite way to warm up.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- salt and pepper
- 2 medium onions, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 (4 ounce) cans green chilies, chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) cans Italian-style stewed tomatoes, chopped,reserving the juice
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, to taste
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- salt and pepper
- 1Meatballs: Combine the ground beef with the cilantro, garlic, lime juice, cumin, hot sauce and salt and pepper.
- 2Form into 1-ounce balls.
- 3Heat oil in skillet over moderate heat.
- 4Cook until brown on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- 5Soup: In a large soup pot, heat 2 tablespoon vegetable oil.
- 6Add onions and garlic and cook for 5 minutes over low heat until translucent.
- 7Add chiles and cook 2 minutes.
- 8Add tomatoes and their juice, chicken stock, chili powder, cumin, and hot sauce.
- 9Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- 10In a small bowl, combine flour and chicken stock.
- 11Whisk into soup.
- 12Bring back to a boil.
- 13Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 14Add meat balls and simmer an additional 5 minutes.
- 15Serve soup topped with sour cream, monterey jack cheese or fried tortilla strips.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Tortilla Meatball Soup
Serving Size: 1 (552 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 399.7
- Calories from Fat 173
- Total Fat 19.2 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Cholesterol 63.3 mg
- Sodium 751.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 12.3 g
- Protein 26.9 g