Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
I got this out of a Sara Moulton cookbook. I have made this several times especially in the winter when soup is my favorite way to warm up.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- salt and pepper
- 2 medium onions, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 (4 ounce) cans green chilies, chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) cans Italian-style stewed tomatoes, chopped,reserving the juice
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- salt and pepper
- Meatballs: Combine the ground beef with the cilantro, garlic, lime juice, cumin, hot sauce and salt and pepper.
- Form into 1-ounce balls.
- Heat oil in skillet over moderate heat.
- Cook until brown on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- Soup: In a large soup pot, heat 2 tablespoon vegetable oil.
- Add onions and garlic and cook for 5 minutes over low heat until translucent.
- Add chiles and cook 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and their juice, chicken stock, chili powder, cumin, and hot sauce.
- Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and chicken stock.
- Whisk into soup.
- Bring back to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add meat balls and simmer an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve soup topped with sour cream, monterey jack cheese or fried tortilla strips.
This soup had great flavor. I followed the recipe exactly except that I substituted 2 TBS corn starch for the flour. The only thing that I think that could be improved is that the meatballs turned out to be a bit firmer than we like. I think that could be changed by either simmering them for a longer period of time or by adding some bread crumbs to the meat mixture. Regardless, this was delicious and I will make it again.
My husband is a mexican native and he wanted me to make meatball soup when i saw this recipe it was almost like the one his mama makes, want to have this soup with a little more body try adding 1/2 a head of cabbage finally chopped 2 turnips coarsely grated 2 carrots coarsly grated,use mexican red chili pepper instead of hot sauce to keep it authentic and i also used 1 can of italian tomatoes and then 1 can of tomates with jalapenos to the soup it self and to the meatball add 2 chopped eggs instead of just a simple egg to the mixture, it is not as firm i have found, the soup will have more body and a great flavor.
I doubled this recipe.. And baked the meatballs.. The first batch of meatballs was just really bland.. So the second batch, I added dried bread crumbs, chili powder, cayenne powder, more hot sauce, 1/4 cup of cilantro, garlic powder + salt & pepper.. Mucho better!! Ohh and I also added a few soft corn tortillas to the soup to thicken it and also used less flour. Thanks BUNCHES for this awesome recipe!! It's a new favorite soup in my house. We couldn't say enough about it! All the flavors came together very nice. I did make this in my crockpot. YUMMY!!