Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This casserole is even better the next day, that is if it even makes it overnight! ---you may omit the jalapeno pepper if desired, we like onions so I always use two and lots of fresh garlic, you can increase the green chiles to whatever amount you desire, and use as much shredded cheese and cooked chicken as desired, the amounts listed are only a guideline, this also works well with cooked turkey, prep time does not include cooking the chicken --- this is *very* good!
- 29.58-44.37 ml butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 29.58-44.37 ml fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 314.66 ml chicken broth
- 295.73 ml canned green chilies, drained (can use more!)
- 4.92-9.85 ml cumin
- 2 (566.99 g) can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- salt and pepper
- 24 corn tortillas (you might use a couple less than 24, or use as many as needed)
- 946.36 ml cooked chicken (or use cooked turkey)
- 473.18 ml cheddar cheese (or to taste) or 473.18 ml monterey jack and cheddar cheese blend, shredded and divided (or to taste)
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a medium heavy pot or saucepan, heat 2-3 tablespoons butter over medium heat; add in chopped onion, garlic and jalapeno pepper, saute for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the chicken broth, green chiles, cumin and chicken soup, season with salt and pepper; bring to a boil and simmer for about 3 minutes or until heated through and combined; remove from heat.
- Spread about 1 cup of the soup mixture into the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Arrange 5-6 tortillas over the soup mixture, then top with about 1 cup chicken, then about 1/2 cup shredded cheese (or to taste).
- Repeat the layers (ENDING with the cheese).
- Spread the remaining soup mixture over the cheese.
- Bake uncovered for about 25 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Being from New Mexico, I thought my way of making this casserole was the best..WRONG!!! I tried your recipe, similar to mine, but yours is SOOOOOO much better! We loved it!!! I used 3, yes 3 jalapenos, and next time will add more Hatch chile. I (we)like things HOT and SPICY, just how I like my men!! LOL Kittencal, I have tried numerous recipes from you and they ALL have been wonderful! Thanks for sharing with us!!!
Delicious with a capital " D " ! I call this comfort food and this is now on regular menu rotation in our house. Simple to prepare and so easy to make too. I roast a chicken a day in advance but certainly you could use a store bought roasted chicken. Serve with sour cream. Thanks for such a great recipe.
Eh - followed the recipe to the tee, even adding a jalapeno as suggested. We still thought it was very bland and mushy. If I were to ever make it again, which I won't, I'd only add half the soup mixture.