Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This casserole is even better the next day, that is if it even makes it overnight! ---you may omit the jalapeno pepper if desired, we like onions so I always use two and lots of fresh garlic, you can increase the green chiles to whatever amount you desire, and use as much shredded cheese and cooked chicken as desired, the amounts listed are only a guideline, this also works well with cooked turkey, prep time does not include cooking the chicken --- this is *very* good!
Top Review by cincasue
Being from New Mexico, I thought my way of making this casserole was the best..WRONG!!! I tried your recipe, similar to mine, but yours is SOOOOOO much better! We loved it!!! I used 3, yes 3 jalapenos, and next time will add more Hatch chile. I (we)like things HOT and SPICY, just how I like my men!! LOL Kittencal, I have tried numerous recipes from you and they ALL have been wonderful! Thanks for sharing with us!!!
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 1 1⁄3 cups chicken broth
- 1 1⁄4 cups canned green chilies, drained (can use more!)
- 1 -2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 (10 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- salt and pepper
- 24 corn tortillas (you might use a couple less than 24, or use as many as needed)
- 4 cups cooked chicken (or use cooked turkey)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese (or to taste) or 2 cups monterey jack and cheddar cheese blend, shredded and divided (or to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a medium heavy pot or saucepan, heat 2-3 tablespoons butter over medium heat; add in chopped onion, garlic and jalapeno pepper, saute for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add in the chicken broth, green chiles, cumin and chicken soup, season with salt and pepper; bring to a boil and simmer for about 3 minutes or until heated through and combined; remove from heat.
- Spread about 1 cup of the soup mixture into the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Arrange 5-6 tortillas over the soup mixture, then top with about 1 cup chicken, then about 1/2 cup shredded cheese (or to taste).
- Repeat the layers (ENDING with the cheese).
- Spread the remaining soup mixture over the cheese.
- Bake uncovered for about 25 minutes or until hot and bubbly.