- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 5 canned chipotle chiles, minced plus
- 1 tablespoon juice (see note)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced (4 tsp)
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the orange juice and lime juice in a saucepan and boil until only 1/2 cup liquid remains.
- Place this and the remaining ingredients in a blender and purée to a smooth paste.
- Spread this paste on the food to be marinated.
- Marinate seafood for 2 hours, poultry for 4 hours, and meat overnight, turning once or twice.
- Marinated food may be sautéed on the stove top, broiled on a charcoal grille, or roasted or broiled in the oven.
- Makes 1 cup of marinade, enough for 1 1/2 to 2 pounds of seafood, poultry or meat.