1/2 Photos of Mexican Pork and Sweet Potato Stew
The appeared in Womans Day Magazine and the photo set my heart aflutter. Need to do a little decluttering so I wanted to type it up and decided to take a chance and post it untried. Great ingredients combined with easy preparation and a short cooking time. What's not to love? Even better it is WW Core and just 5 points on Flex.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/4 lbs pork tenderloin, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 poblano peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can fat free chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 1/2 cups salsa, a chipotle version suggested
- cilantro (to garnish)
- 1Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the cubed tenderloin and cook for 7 minutes, turning so all sides are browned and the pork is cooked. Remove from pan and set aside.
- 2Add the remaining teaspoon of oil to the pan along with the onions, peppers and sweet potatoes. Cover and cook for three minutes until the vegetables begin to soften. Add the sweet potatoes, continuing to cook another 2 to 3 minutes.
- 3Add the garlic, cumin and cinnamon, stirring so that the spices are well mixed into the vegetables. There should be a nice aroma at this point. Stir in the water and broth and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and add in the corn. Cook covered for 5 minutes.
- 4Add in the salsa and the cooked pork. Cook until heated through. If you are using salsa from the fridge, I would suggest adding it a minute before the meat so that it cn heat up without leaving the tender meat tough.
- 5Garnish with cilantro and serve with warm tortillas or tortilla chips.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Pork and Sweet Potato Stew
Serving Size: 1 (425 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 330.0
- Calories from Fat 61
- Total Fat 6.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 61.4 mg
- Sodium 786.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.6 g
- Sugars 7.9 g
- Protein 25.4 g