Black-Eyed Peas and Sweet Potato Stew
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 2 cups dried black-eyed peas
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut in small chunks
- 3 fresh tomatoes, peeled and cut in small chunks or 1 can stewed tomatoes (works, but fresh ones are better)
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, chopped
- 1⁄2 large red onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (or more)
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning or 1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash seasoning mix (or more)
- 1⁄2 - 1 1/2-1 teaspoon red peppers or 1/2-1 teaspoon creole seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole celery seeds or 1 -2 stalk chopped celery, with leaves (or both)
- salt and pepper
- Rinse black-eyed peas in colander (to clean), then drain.
- Add enough water to cover beans in 3 quart vessel.
- Boil, then turn down to medium-low heat for 30 minutes (cook until tender).
- Keep on lower heat and add onions, garlic, parsley, celery (if desired) and seasonings.
- Add tomatoes, and sweet potatoes.
- Cook for another 15 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Other suggested ingredients for variation are: 1 can of corn, chopped red bell peppers, or a few hot peppers.
- You can also add olive oil and/or a dash of vinegar for added flavor.
- Serve with, or over brown rice-- with corn bread on the side!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!