Kidney Bean and Sweet Potato Stew
photo by KerfuffleUponWincle
- Ready In:
- 1hr 2mins
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 - 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked kidney beans
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the leeks to the pot, cover and cook 5 minutes or until softened, stir occasionally.
- Add the garlic and cook 1 minute; stir occasionally.
- Add the flour; cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the wine; bring to a boil and scrap up the brown bits clinging to the bottom of the pan.
- Add the potatoes, tomatoes, broth, thyme, bay leaves, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil; lower heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or so until the potatoes are tender.
- Throw out the bay leaves.
- Add the beans, cover and simmer for 10 more minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!