Recipe by Anita Harris
Mucho good!! This casserole has a very pretty presentation (if topped as directed) and is as good to eat as it is to look at. Serve with Mexican rice, salsa and frozen margaritas and you will make a hit with family and friends!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 10 -12 corn tortillas, fried for a few seconds to soften-drain well on paper towels
- 2 cups small curd cottage cheese, drained
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack pepper cheese
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh tomato
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sliced black olives
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, brown beef until cooked through; drain.
- Add seasonings and tomatoes and heat through.
- Cover bottom and sides of 13x9x2 baking dish with the some of the tortillas.
- Pour beef mixture over tortillas; place another layer of tortillas over meat mixture.
- Combine together the cottage cheese, Monterey Jack, and egg; pour over tortillas.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven; sprinkle rows of cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, onions and olives diagonally across center of casserole.