Awesome! If you love guacamole, try this lighter, more tangy version made with fresh green tomatillos and avocado! We really love this salsa verde. Serve with simple grilled foods like carne asada or fajitas, or with a bowl of tostadas chips. And, green sauce is great stirred in to scrambled eggs Green Eggs and Ham - Mexican Style. From "Zarela's Veracruz: Mexico's Simplest Cuisine" by Zarela Martinez. Enjoy!
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 small white onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 -3 serrano peppers, stemmed and coarsely chopped (or jalapeno peppers)
- 6 -8 medium tomatillos, husks removed, rinsed and cut into quarters (about 1/2 pound)
- 1 ripe Hass avocado
- 12 -15 sprigs cilantro, finely chopped
- In a food processor or blender (or with mortar and pestle), process garlic and salt to a paste.
- In the processor or blender, place onion, jalapenos and tomatillos and pulse to make a slightly chunky mix. Remove to bowl.
- Halve and pit avocado and scoop out flesh. Chop finely and add to other ingredients. Add cilantro and mix well.
- Serve with tortilla chips or as a condiment for meat, fish, poultry, burritos or quesadillas.
- Makes about 2 cups.
I made this on a Sunday afternoon and took left overs to work. The three guys I work with DEVOURED it! Kept commenting that it was REALLY good in that "this is green and slightly chunky (aka nasty looking) but surprisingly delicious" kind of voice. I ate it with two flavors of Tostitos and was awesome on the burrito I made it for. Quick, easy, and light! Loved it!
This was awesome! Everyone raved! Thanks for sharing!
So good that it was addictive, thanks for posting it!