1/1 Photo of Mexican Green Sauce With Tomatillos and Avocado (Salsa Verde)
Awesome! If you love guacamole, try this lighter, more tangy version made with fresh green tomatillos and avocado! We really love this salsa verde. Serve with simple grilled foods like carne asada or fajitas, or with a bowl of tostadas chips. And, green sauce is great stirred in to scrambled eggs Green Eggs and Ham - Mexican Style. From "Zarela's Veracruz: Mexico's Simplest Cuisine" by Zarela Martinez. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 small white onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 -3 serrano peppers, stemmed and coarsely chopped (or jalapeno peppers)
- 6 -8 medium tomatillos, husks removed, rinsed and cut into quarters (about 1/2 pound)
- 1 ripe Hass avocado
- 12 -15 sprigs cilantro, finely chopped
- 1In a food processor or blender (or with mortar and pestle), process garlic and salt to a paste.
- 2In the processor or blender, place onion, jalapenos and tomatillos and pulse to make a slightly chunky mix. Remove to bowl.
- 3Halve and pit avocado and scoop out flesh. Chop finely and add to other ingredients. Add cilantro and mix well.
- 4Serve with tortilla chips or as a condiment for meat, fish, poultry, burritos or quesadillas.
- 5Makes about 2 cups.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mexican Green Sauce With Tomatillos and Avocado (Salsa Verde)
Serving Size: 1 (38 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 28.2
- Calories from Fat 17
- Total Fat 1.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 293.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 0.5 g