Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Here is a salad we love to make in the summer! Very satisfying yet not too heavy. Serve as a main dish salad with cold glasses of Ice Tea.
- 1 head lettuce
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, freshly grated
- 1 (8 ounce) bag tortilla chips, crushed
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans
- 1 cup thousand island dressing, mixed with
- hot sauce, to taste (depending on how hot you like it 1 ripe avocado (for garnish)
- lemon juice
- Tear lettuce into bite-size pieces.
- Add cheese and toss.
- Place in a large bowl along with onion and tomatoes.
- Toss avacado with teaspoon of lemon juice.
- (this prevents it from turning brown) Brown the ground beef with taco seasoning according to package directions Add kidney beans and heat thoroughly.
- Let cool slightly meat and bean mixture and combine with cold salad.
- Add tortilla chips last (so they will not get soggy).
- Toss with Thousand Island dressing and garnish with Avacado.
This is great! I left out the taco season. Added salt and pepper to taste and drained and rinsed the kidney beans before adding to the hamburger. A little hot sauce with the dressing will give the desired amount of heat.
I was about to post (almost) this exact same recipe and saw you beat me to it by a few days :\ . This is a family favorite. The differences between this and my recipe are small, I don't use packaged taco seasoning for anything so I leave that out and salt and pepper to taste as well as add cayenne to taste, and I use Nacho Cheese Doritos as opposed to normal tortilla chips as I like the extra cheese flavor it adds. Other than that its the same way my family has made this for years. My sister always requests this for her birthday dinner.