Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Slightly modified from here: http://simplygluten-free.blogspot.com/2008/10/mexican-dinner-party-part-4-easy.html Delicious. I served on fajitas with homemade tortillas.
- 1 cup short grain brown rice
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 15 ounces chopped tomatoes (I used Rotel)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped (optional)
- Blend together canned tomatoes (with juices), ground cumin, garlic and jalapeno. Add enough chicken stock to equal 3 cups of mixture.
- Heat oil in skillet. Add onions and cook until soft but not browned, about 3 minutes.
- Add the rice and cook stirring for 2 more minutes. Rice will start to look translucent.
- Add the tomato chicken stock mixture to the rice in the skillet in 1 cup increments, stirring after each addition of liquid until totally absorbed. I decided it was done after about 45-50 minutes.