Recipe by spatchcock
This recipe was originally posted by Zenith. This member is no longer an active participant at Zaar, but I was a huge fan of her recipes, so when they went up for adoption I grabbed as many as I could. Here are her original comments: "A tasty vegetarian burger. Fairly mild -- increase spices to your taste. Adapted from 'The Vegetarian Gourmet's Easy Low-Fat Favorites.'"
Top Review by Finicky
I thought these were excellent. I substituted mesquite A1 sauce for the ketchup, and skipped the pepper. I made 6 patties while the rice was hot and tried to leave them alone while they were frying. I didn't have any trouble with them falling apart. I will definitely make these again! Next time, I'll saute some onions and maybe some mushrooms for the top though.
- 2 cups cooked black beans (or canned)
- 2 cups cooked brown rice, preferably warm
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 teaspoons chili powder, more, to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin, more, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Mash with a potato masher until mashed well and thoroughly combined.
- Divide mixture into 8 balls.
- Form each ball into a thick patty.
- (This is easier if you wet your hands first.) Fry burgers in a skillet sprayed with nonstick cooking spray (or lightly greased).
- Cook until browned on both sides, turning several times.
- Serve on buns with toppings of your choice.