Cook1 hr 13 mins
Sausage meat can be used in place of the ground beef, and any small pasta can be substituted for the macaroni. If you like more chili flavor then add in a couple tablespoons of chili powder. I have even added in some red kidney beans and sliced green olives to this casserole, but that is optional. This casserole can be completely prepared up to 24 hours in advance, cover the casserole dish tightly with plastic wrap, then refrigerate until ready to bake, increase the cooking time slightly. For taco seasoning see Kittencal's Taco Seasoning Mix.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes (optional or to taste, add in if you like spicy!)
- 2 (1 ounce) packages taco seasoning mix (you can use 1 package if desired, or use a single or double recipe of my Kittencal's Taco Seasoning Mix)
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- 8 slices bacon (cooked till very crisp and chopped)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 (10 ounce) cans tomato soup
- 1 -2 tablespoon brown sugar (optional)
- seasoning salt (can use white salt)
- 3 cups cooked macaroni (can use less, cook the macaroni to JUST firm-tender)
- 4 cups shredded tex-mex cheese, divided (or to taste or cheddar cheese or mozzarella cheese)
- In a large skillet brown the beef with dried chili flakes, onion, garlic and the green pepper until the beef is no longer pink (about 10-12 minutes, make sure the beef is well browned) drain any fat.
- Add in taco seasoning mix with Parmesan cheese; mix to combine and cook 1 minute.
- Add in the cooked chopped bacon, tomato sauce, 2 cans tomato soup and brown sugar (if using); simmer for 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season with seasoning salt and pepper and mix in 2 cups shredded Tex-Mex or cheddar cheese.
- Add in the cooked macaroni pasta; mix to combine.
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch casserole dish (or larger).
- Transfer the mixture to the casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese, then about 2 cups (or more)grated Tex-Mex or cheddar cheese.
- Bake uncovered for about 20 minutes, or until bubbly and the cheese has melted.
Great tasty recipe! I threw in a small link of chirzo and used one packet of hot and spicy taco seasoning. Just the right zing. I did not add any pepper flakes. I didn't add the bacon and used penne whole wheat noodles. We really enjoyed this one!
Another great one from you! I did only use 1 package of taco seasoning but all the chili flakes.and made it a few hours before and husband threw it in the oven. I did not put any extra cheese on top. Everyone loved it. My husband ate it for two more days. Thank you very much for sharing. I wil def be making this again, maybe in two smaller trays and freeze one.
I gave this recipe 4 stars my hubby says 5..... I only used one pkg. of taco seasoning and it was plenty spicy for us...I also thru in a can of fiesta corn...