Recipe by JanuaryBride
These simple cookies will melt in your mouth and will look pretty too. This is one of my mom's favorite Christmas cookie recipes that I found in her Baking is Fun! cookbook from 1948 (the cookbook has a $.25 price on it). The book calls these "Holiday Nuggets" which doesn't sound too appetizing to me, so I have renamed them. I hope you love them as much as I do!
- 2 1⁄2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 cup butter (softened)
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream the shortening, butter and sugar together.
- Blend in the vanilla, almond extract and nuts.
- Sift together flour and salt, adding it to wet ingredients and mixing until dough is smooth and well blended.
- Shape into small balls (1 tbsp of dough for each).
- Place balls on ungreased baking sheet and flatten bottoms just enough so they won't roll.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
- Roll cookies in powdered sugar after baking.
- Option: If desired, top with colored sugar, coconut or more nuts before baking and then don't roll in powdered sugar after baking.