Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
A traditional roast beef with the subtle addition of wine and spice.
- 4 lbs roast
- 1 clove garlic
- flour, to dredge
- vegetable oil
- 1 chopped carrot
- 1 diced celery rib
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 small onion, stuck with
- 3 cloves
- 2 cups beef bouillon
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- Put garlic through press and rub into all sides of roast.
- Dredge meat in flour and brown on all sides in oil in frying pan.
- Do not let it scorch.
- Transfer meat to roasting pan and add the rest of ingredients.
- Cover and bake at 325 degrees for 4 hours, or until meat is tender, turning roast every half hour.
- (Don't skip this step... turning it every half hour ensures a juicy, melt-in-your-mouth roast) When done, remove from pan and cover with aluminum foil.
- Strain stock, pressing as much liquid as possible from vegetables.
- Pour stock into saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Stir in mixture of flour and water and cook until thickened.
This is a wonderful recipe full of flavor. I didn't cook it in the oven but in my Rival 6 quard crockpot on Low for 8 hours. The meat came out tender and the flavor was great. Thanks for posting!
What a wonderful, rich flavor, and the meat was very moist and tender! I threw in a few carrots one hour before the roast was done (they were divine). I also put the veggies and stock through the food mill so they added richness to the gravy and thickened it a bit. Thanks!
This roast was so juicy and so tender...extremely flavorful. Thanks for a keeper!