Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is from Mel's Kitchen Cafe website, and man, I never thought I would enjoy a meal more than my pressure cooker carnitas, but this one is just so freaking good. It is now a staple on my menu, thanks Mel! This tastes excellent with Turkey for stewing as well (just omit step 1 in the directions if you use Turkey)
- 4 lbs boneless pork butt, cubed
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 onion, peeled and halved
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1⁄2 medium orange, juice and zest of
- 8 small corn or 8 small flour tortillas
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- sour cream or avocado, if desired
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- 1.Rub the pieces of pork all over with salt. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- 2.Heat oil in a Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat, until the oil is shimmering and hot. Add the pork and sear each piece on all sides, working in batches, if needed. Once browned, remove the pork to the slow cooker. Into the same pot used to sear the pork, pour in the water and chicken stock, scraping the bottom of the pan with a flat-edged spatula or wooden spoon to get up all the delicious brown bits from the bottom. Add pepper, cumin, chili powder, oregano, bay leaves, garlic, jalapenos, onion, lime juice, orange juice and orange rinds and bring to a simmer. Pour the mixture over the pork in the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours, until the pork is very tender.
- 3.Remove the bay leaves, onion and orange rinds from the pot and discard. Remove the pork and place in a bowl and set aside. Pour the liquid from the slow cooker into a pot on the stove and over high heat, bring the mixture to a boil. Let the mixture boil until it reduces to about 1 cup and is thickened slightly, about 10 -15 minutes.
- 4.Shred the pork and place on a large patter. Spoon the sauce over the pork. Serve in tortillas garnished with onions, cilantro, cheese, sour cream, avocado and additional lime wedges, if desired.