Recipe by heather in Ont,
For a change of pace try drizzling this vinaigrette on boiled new red potatoes instead of butter.
Top Review by Acerast
A very clever way to infuse the garlic and basil into the oil! Our home smelled like and Italian Trattoria after preparing this. This was nice tossed with steamed green beans and would be great also to dip crusty bread. The basil was a bit dominant for me so I might use fewer leaves in the infusion process. Thanks for a new way to add flavor to vegetables.
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 14 fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon packed finely grated lemon, zest of
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Put garlic and oil in a small saucepan and heat to medium low, so the cloves are just barely sizzling but not browning.
- Simmer for 10 minutes and remove from the heat, and add 10 of the basil leaves.
- Let sit for approx.
- 20 minutes and then remove the garlic and basil leaves.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, lemon zest, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Slowly whisk in the flavored oil until the dessing is creamy and blended.
- Roll the remaining basil leaves into a tight roll and slice across to make thin shreds.
- Stir into dressing.