1/1 Photo of Melanie's Rich and Creamy Green Chili and Corn Tamales
Melanie B.'s Note:
I actually just finished making this dish for my Next Food Network Star audition video. I think Karma was on my side today because it came out better than ANY batch of tamales I ever made.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups instant masa harina flour, Maseca
- 2 cups corn, fresh roasted and cut off the ear
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup lard
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup cream
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1Do all prep work with the corn and green chilis.
- 2Clean and rinse the corn husks. Place in a large bowl and soak in hot water for about 30 minutes.
- 3Make the masa by mixing together all of the masa ingredients with a mixer. The consistency should end up similar to a chocolate chip cookie dough, slightly wetter.
- 4Make the filling by stirring together all of the filling ingredients in a large bowl.
- 5Spread masa in center of each corn husks. Sometimes you may need to use two corn husks to make it wide enough. I like my tamales to be very thick and large, so you want to spread it into a rectangular shape approximately 6 inches by 3-4 inches, depending on the shape of your corn husks.
- 6Place a spoonful of the filling in the center of the masa in each corn husk.
- 7Roll like a burrito, ensuring the filling is sealed on all sides with masa.
- 8Place in a steamer and cook the batch together for approximately 45-60 minutes. You want the masa to be cooked but not overcooked. It will still appear a bit wet when tested, but not stick to the corn husk.
- 9Serve with a bit of shredded cheese, fresh scallions, and cilantro -- and sour cream if you desire!
Browse Our Top Corn Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Melanie's Rich and Creamy Green Chili and Corn Tamales
Serving Size: 1 (151 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 341.2
- Calories from Fat 216
- Total Fat 24.1 g
- Saturated Fat 13.0 g
- Cholesterol 56.6 mg
- Sodium 557.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 6.0 g