Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A favourite in our house
- 1 small onions or 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 courgette, thinly sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 (400 g) can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 pinch caster sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried Italian herb seasoning
- 1 small green chili, chopped finely (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- mozzarella cheese, grated
- Saute sliced mushrooms in a small amount of oil in pan. When cooked, strain excess juice/water, and set aside.
- fry chopped onion in oil till soft and a little brown, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add crushed garlic, stir for a couple of minutes.
- Add courgette slices, chopped peppers and salt( about 1 tsp salt or less).Fry till vegetables have softened and cooked .
- Add tin of tomatoes and tomato puree. Mix well.
- Add sauteed mushrooms, caster sugar and italian herbs. Bring to boil, then add green chilli if desired. Also add black pepper. Check for seasoning. Simmer for about 15 mins on low heat.
- Whilst sauce is simmering, boil pasta (enough for 3-4 people). Drain, put back into pan and add the sauce to it. Briefly heat pasta and sauce together, then add chopped basil leaves. Serve, and add grated cheese on top.