1/1 Photo of Mediterranean Summer Breeze Tuna Entrée
1 hr 30 mins
You and your friend are enjoying a spectacular sun set while eating at a quaint outdoor café on the Greek Island of Mykonos. The sun is now low on the horizon, a bright orange and the summer breeze is so delightful. You had a tasty shrimp appetizer and a delicious cold yogurt soup. For an entrée you have decided to get the "signature" dish at this café, which many have said is one of the best on the Island. A charcoal grilled Tuna Steak on a bed of Couscous with orange slices, kalamata olives and feta cheese on the side…. A nice bottle of white wine to go along. What more can you ask for! All right, how about a RSC #7 strawberry, chocolate dessert… perhaps it's on the menu. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup couscous
- 4 cups vegetable stock (College Inn Garden Vegetable Broth 14 1/2 oz. equals two cups)
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/8 cup pistachio nut, shells removed
- 3/4 cup bell pepper, chopped up (multi-colored)
- 2 spring onions, cleaned and chopped up (1/2 inch lengths)
- 1/8 cup kalamata olive, pits remove, coarsely chopped up
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon (substitute 1 tablespoon dry tarragon)
- 4 tuna steaks, 2 lbs, cut into 4 small pieces (substitute 4 lbs, 4 large pieces)
- 4 tablespoons lime juice (marinade) or 4 tablespoons lemon juice (marinade)
- 1/8 cup marsala wine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons tarragon, 2 sprigs
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 valencia oranges, cut up into 1/2 round slices, wedges
- 3 tablespoons orange zest
- 16 kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled (French, less salty)
- 1COUSCOUS- Place couscous in a pot and add 2 cups of vegetable stock, 1 tablespoons butter, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/8 teaspoon turmeric, and cook until almost done; stir and add water as needed (read instructions on package, do not add spice pack if included); Remove from heat.
- 2Add and mix into cooked couscous pistachio nuts, bell peppers, spring onions, 1/8 cup chopped kalamata olives, tarragon, 1 tablespoon orange zest and keep warm.
- 3VELOUTE SAUCE- Make a Roux by melting 1-2 tablespoons of butter in a pan. Gradually add some flour and stir constantly until smooth (to achieve the proper consistency, do not burn, no lumps); Then slowly add to the HOT Roux 1 cup COLD vegetable stock, stir and make sure there are no lumps, add 1/8 cup marsala wine; Season with 1 teaspoon salt to taste, add 1-2 tarragon sprigs. Continue to stir until the proper consistency for a thick sauce is achieved; Add 2 tablespoons capers; Set aside and keep warm.
- 4FISH- Marinate the fish in a large bowl by adding 2 tablespoons lime/lemon juice, toss and leave for 1/2 hour; Then place the tuna steaks on a charcoal grill, baste with butter and/or an olive oil combo, season to taste with 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Turn only once on the grill (or frying pan) and again season to taste; DO NOT OVERCOOK TUNA STEAKS, making sure the inside is slightly pink. Remove.
- 5PLATE- In the center of a large plate add about 3/4 to 1 cup or more of the cooked couscous, and form into a circle; Around the sides add, whole kalamata olives, crumbled feta cheese, sliced oranges and some of the Veloute Sauce; On top of the couscous place one cooked tuna steak, a little of the Veloute Sauce and sprinkle orange zest on top.
- 6Serve with a white wine and enjoy!
- 8Notes: Again do not overcook the tuna steaks. Instead of grilling you can pan fry or broil the steaks by adding butter/olive oil and season to taste. Finally, if you prefer you can substitute 2 lbs of shrimp instead of tuna steaks; remove the shells, tail, devein and then cut lengthwise slightly.
Browse Our Top Tuna Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Tuna Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mediterranean Summer Breeze Tuna Entrée
Serving Size: 1 (267 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 517.8
- Calories from Fat 283
- Total Fat 31.4 g
- Saturated Fat 12.6 g
- Cholesterol 46.5 mg
- Sodium 2861.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 9.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: