You and your friend are enjoying a spectacular sun set while eating at a quaint outdoor café on the Greek Island of Mykonos. The sun is now low on the horizon, a bright orange and the summer breeze is so delightful. You had a tasty shrimp appetizer and a delicious cold yogurt soup. For an entrée you have decided to get the "signature" dish at this café, which many have said is one of the best on the Island. A charcoal grilled Tuna Steak on a bed of Couscous with orange slices, kalamata olives and feta cheese on the side…. A nice bottle of white wine to go along. What more can you ask for! All right, how about a RSC #7 strawberry, chocolate dessert… perhaps it's on the menu. Enjoy!
- 3⁄4 cup couscous
- 4 cups vegetable stock (College Inn Garden Vegetable Broth 14 1/2 oz. equals two cups)
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄8 cup pistachio nut, shells removed
- 3⁄4 cup bell pepper, chopped up (multi-colored)
- 2 spring onions, cleaned and chopped up (1/2 inch lengths)
- 1⁄8 cup kalamata olive, pits remove, coarsely chopped up
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon (substitute 1 tablespoon dry tarragon)
- 4 tuna steaks, 2 lbs, cut into 4 small pieces (substitute 4 lbs, 4 large pieces)
- 4 tablespoons lime juice (marinade) or 4 tablespoons lemon juice (marinade)
- 1⁄8 cup marsala wine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons tarragon, 2 sprigs
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 valencia oranges, cut up into 1/2 round slices, wedges
- 3 tablespoons orange zest
- 16 kalamata olives
- 1⁄4 cup feta cheese, crumbled (French, less salty)
- COUSCOUS- Place couscous in a pot and add 2 cups of vegetable stock, 1 tablespoons butter, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/8 teaspoon turmeric, and cook until almost done; stir and add water as needed (read instructions on package, do not add spice pack if included); Remove from heat.
- Add and mix into cooked couscous pistachio nuts, bell peppers, spring onions, 1/8 cup chopped kalamata olives, tarragon, 1 tablespoon orange zest and keep warm.
- VELOUTE SAUCE- Make a Roux by melting 1-2 tablespoons of butter in a pan. Gradually add some flour and stir constantly until smooth (to achieve the proper consistency, do not burn, no lumps); Then slowly add to the HOT Roux 1 cup COLD vegetable stock, stir and make sure there are no lumps, add 1/8 cup marsala wine; Season with 1 teaspoon salt to taste, add 1-2 tarragon sprigs. Continue to stir until the proper consistency for a thick sauce is achieved; Add 2 tablespoons capers; Set aside and keep warm.
- FISH- Marinate the fish in a large bowl by adding 2 tablespoons lime/lemon juice, toss and leave for 1/2 hour; Then place the tuna steaks on a charcoal grill, baste with butter and/or an olive oil combo, season to taste with 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Turn only once on the grill (or frying pan) and again season to taste; DO NOT OVERCOOK TUNA STEAKS, making sure the inside is slightly pink. Remove.
- PLATE- In the center of a large plate add about 3/4 to 1 cup or more of the cooked couscous, and form into a circle; Around the sides add, whole kalamata olives, crumbled feta cheese, sliced oranges and some of the Veloute Sauce; On top of the couscous place one cooked tuna steak, a little of the Veloute Sauce and sprinkle orange zest on top.
- Serve with a white wine and enjoy!
- Notes: Again do not overcook the tuna steaks. Instead of grilling you can pan fry or broil the steaks by adding butter/olive oil and season to taste. Finally, if you prefer you can substitute 2 lbs of shrimp instead of tuna steaks; remove the shells, tail, devein and then cut lengthwise slightly.