Similar to humus but made with yellow split peas. Pull out your food processor and give it a try!
Make and share this Mediterranean Split Pea Dip recipe from Food.com.
- Rinse the split peas under running cold water.
- Put in medium-sized pan and add the coarsely chopped onion, the garlic and plenty of cold water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes or until very tender.
- Drain, reserving some of the cooking liquid, and put in a food processor or blender.
- Add 5 tablespoons of the oil and process until smooth.
- If the mixture seems too dry, add enough of the reserved liquid to form a smooth, thick puree. (If you don't have a food processor you can mash the spilt peas with a fork in a bowl).
- Add the oregano and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Turn the mixture into a serving bowl and sprinkle with the finely chopped onion and extra oregano, if desired.
- Drizzle over the remaining oil.
- Serve warm or cold with savory biscuits.