Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Light and refreshing. Needs nothing more.
Make and share this Mediterranean Rice Salad With Shrimp recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄4 cups arborio rice or 1 1⁄4 cups long-grain white rice
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3⁄4 lb shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 4 -5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 ripe tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 large fennel bulb, halved,cored and cut into ¼ inch dice
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- In a large saucepan, bring 10 cups of water to a boil.
- Stir in 1 tblsp salt.
- Add the rice and cook uncovered over medium heat until al dente, about 15 minutes.
- Drain in a colander, rinse with cold water and drain again.
- Place the rice in a large serving bowl.
- Bring a saucepan of salted water to a boil and stir in 1 tblsp of the lemon juice.
- Add the shrimp and cook until opaque, about 1 ½ minutes.
- Drain the shrimp.
- Transfer to a work surface and chop into small pieces.
- Toss the rice with ¼ cup of th e oil and the remaining 3 tblsps lemon juice.
- Add the shrimp, tomatoes, fennel, scallions, dill and garlic; toss.
- Add up to 1 tblsp more of oil.
- Season with salt and crushed red pepper.
- Let stand for at least 20 minutes before serving.
This is a great summer salad. We ate it as part of a seasonal buffet, with a corn on the cob and a couple other salads on the side. I didn't find I needed to use quite as much oil as the recipe calls for and also added a healthy dose of freshly ground black pepper.