Literary Mom's Note:
Colorful, light and palate pleasing! We were out of meat so I got creative with a can of tuna, fresh veggies and a few condiments. Cold leftovers were also yummy the next day--kind of like a rice salad.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup rice
- 1 (6 ounce) can tuna in water (water packed, preferably albacore)
- 1/2 cup onion (diced)
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper (diced)
- 1/2 cup celery (chopped)
- 1/2 cup black olives (chopped)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder (or garlic powder)
- 1 teaspoon capers
- 1While rice is cooking, chop vegetables.
- 2Heat 1 T oil in large pan and cook onion, pepper and celery on medium heat until slightly browned and softened (about 5-7 minutes).
- 3Turn heat down to low and stir in tuna, olives, capers, 2 T vinegar, 1 T oil, and garlic.
- 4Cook for 5 minutes.
- 5Add hot cooked rice to pan and remaining 1 T oil and 1 T vinegar.
- 6Combine well.
- 7Taste and add more seasonings (oil, vinegar, garlic) if your tastebuds say so (my measurements are always approximate).
- 8Optional: transfer to a casserole dish and melt cheese over the top in the microwave or oven.
- 9Note: the tuna doesn't take over this dish so if you want it to be more"meaty", I would use 2 cans.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mediterranean Pantry Supper
Serving Size: 1 (247 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 497.4
- Calories from Fat 163
- Total Fat 18.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 24.9 mg
- Sodium 438.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 19.6 g