Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Colorful, light and palate pleasing! We were out of meat so I got creative with a can of tuna, fresh veggies and a few condiments. Cold leftovers were also yummy the next day--kind of like a rice salad.
- 1 cup rice
- 1 (6 ounce) can tuna in water (water packed, preferably albacore)
- 1⁄2 cup onion (diced)
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper (diced)
- 1⁄2 cup celery (chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup black olives (chopped)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder (or garlic powder)
- 1 teaspoon capers
- While rice is cooking, chop vegetables.
- Heat 1 T oil in large pan and cook onion, pepper and celery on medium heat until slightly browned and softened (about 5-7 minutes).
- Turn heat down to low and stir in tuna, olives, capers, 2 T vinegar, 1 T oil, and garlic.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add hot cooked rice to pan and remaining 1 T oil and 1 T vinegar.
- Combine well.
- Taste and add more seasonings (oil, vinegar, garlic) if your tastebuds say so (my measurements are always approximate).
- Optional: transfer to a casserole dish and melt cheese over the top in the microwave or oven.
- Note: the tuna doesn't take over this dish so if you want it to be more"meaty", I would use 2 cans.