Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is very yummy and makes a good weeknight meal. I serve it with short-grain brown rice with olive oil and grated parmesan cheese and a green vegetable.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic clove (about 2 cloves)
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with their liquid
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olive, pitted and chopped (or use green olives)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (or 1 tbsp. fresh)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil (or 1 tbsp. fresh)
- In a large cast-iron or nonstick skillet, heat the tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add the chicken and saute until it is browned on all sides and just cooked through (about 7-10 minutes). Remove chicken and place on a plate.
- Add the teaspoons of olive oil and the onions to the pan, and cook for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Add the tomatoes olives, oregano and basil and cook the sauce for 5-8 more minutes.
- Add the chicken and cook until it is heated through.
- Put the chicken on plates (over rice if desired), and spoon the sauce equally over the chicken.
Incredibly delicious! I used chopped green olives and fresh basil and oregano. I also pounded my chicken breasts to 1/2 inch thickness. As you said, this is an easy weeknight meal. Served with brown rice, fresh tomato caprese salad, and fresh sliced peaches. Thank you for sharing!
This was delicious! My mother and I really enjoyed it. I made a few slight variations, such as choosing to leave out the olives because no one in my family likes them. Also added a bit more oregano. We served it over white rice and had a nice salad on the side. Thank you for sharing!
Excellent flavor! I used one can of black olives, drained b/c that's what I had on hand. I also used fresh basil (no oregano). I served this over brown rice and topped with feta cheese, which made the dish. We had a side salad of spinach to go with.