Recipe by Gary Helriegel1
My version of the Basic Meat Pie from www.godecookery.com. I've successfully made this three times.
Top Review by FairestYarrow
Good stuff! We used less beef, and added some salt, and it was quite tasty. I might make it up in small pastry packets to take to events. Oh, also, I added about a half cup of cooked peas.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef (any or all of beef, pork, rabbit, venison, etc.- just 1 1/2 lbs total. Sirloin steak makes the best) or 1 1⁄2 lbs pork or 1 1⁄2 lbs rabbit or 1 1⁄2 lbs venison steak
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 1⁄2 cup currants (or any other dried fruit) or 1⁄2 cup raisins (or any other dried fruit)
- 4 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2-1 cup broth (whatever most of the meat is)
- 1 dash cooking wine
- 9 inches pie shells (with lid)
Directions See How It's Made
- Broil the meat till very rare, but cooked through.
- Cut it into small cubes.
- Mix with all other ingredients except the pie shell.
- For the broth, just add enough to make the mixture a little wetter.
- Put the mixture into the pie shell.
- Be sure the shell lid is sealed, and punch some holes in the top with a knife.
- Bake at 350 F for 45 minutes to an hour, till the shell is golden brown.
- Makes 6-8 slices, and can be served any temperature.
- It's easiest to cut when cold.