Recipe by lazyme
My DH loves meatloaf and I have many recipes for it. This is now his favorite - the caramelized onions really add a nice flavor. It does make a large loaf and takes some time to prepare it, but it is worth the work!
Top Review by Tea Jenny
Mmmm!!! we like meatloaf too, and the thing we liked about this one is there are lot's left over for a sandwich, or toast later. I liked the caramelized onions, it gave it a nice flavour along with the oregano. I made it to the recipe, I even managed saltine crackers which you don't get here, but the other week we went to a chinese supermarket and I don't know why but I picked up a packet, must of been fate. I wouldn't change a thing. I served it with the sauted mushrooms and some roast potatoes very nice recipe and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Made for PAC Spring 2010
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, with added puree
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup saltine crackers, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup celery leaves, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 lb mushroom, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Oil 13x9x2-inch roasting pan.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and sugar; sauté until onions are deep golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in oregano and garlic.
- Add vinegar; cook until evaporated, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer to large bowl and cool.
- Add ground beef, pork, 1 cup crushed tomatoes and next 6 ingredients to onions.
- Mix with fork until just blended.
- Form meat mixture into 10-by-5-inch loaf shape in prepared pan.
- Bake 45 minutes.
- Spread remaining crushed tomatoes over meat loaf.
- Drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil.
- Bake until thermometer inserted into center registers 155°F, about 1 hour.
- Cool 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add mushrooms; sauté until tender, about 12 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cut meat loaf into thick slices.
- Spoon mushrooms and pan juices over.