Cook2 hrs 15 mins
My DH loves meatloaf and I have many recipes for it. This is now his favorite - the caramelized onions really add a nice flavor. It does make a large loaf and takes some time to prepare it, but it is worth the work!
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can crushed tomatoes, with added puree
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup saltine crackers, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup celery leaves, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 lb mushroom, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Oil 13x9x2-inch roasting pan.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and sugar; sauté until onions are deep golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in oregano and garlic.
- Add vinegar; cook until evaporated, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer to large bowl and cool.
- Add ground beef, pork, 1 cup crushed tomatoes and next 6 ingredients to onions.
- Mix with fork until just blended.
- Form meat mixture into 10-by-5-inch loaf shape in prepared pan.
- Bake 45 minutes.
- Spread remaining crushed tomatoes over meat loaf.
- Drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil.
- Bake until thermometer inserted into center registers 155°F, about 1 hour.
- Cool 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add mushrooms; sauté until tender, about 12 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cut meat loaf into thick slices.
- Spoon mushrooms and pan juices over.