Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
- 2 eggs, hard-boiled
- 50 g stale bread
- 25 g onions
- 20 g butter
- 500 g ground beef (or a mixture of both) or 500 g ground pork (or a mixture of both)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 25 g breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- oil (to grease baking dish) or butter (to grease baking dish)
- salt and pepper
- Peel the hard-boiled eggs and quarter them lengthwise.
- Soak the stale bread in water, and when soft, squeeze out the excess water and mince.
- Peel and chop the onion and fry in butter until lightly golden- set aside.
- Mince the meat with the bread, onion and beaten egg.
- Add salt and pepper and knead until all ingredients are combined.
- Sprinkle the breadcrumbs on a large board and place the meat mixture on top, spreading it fairly thin to form a rectangle (A4 size).
- Place egg quarters along one side, pointing them towards the middle.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
- Roll the meat up into a thick cylinder, starting from the side where the eggs are so that they will be in the middle.
- Heat the oven to 220°C/425°F.
- Grease a fairly deep baking dish.
- Add the meatloaf, basting with some oil/butter.
- Cover tray with foil and bake for 1 hour 15 minutes, basting frequently.
- Cut into slices and serve.