Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
I was undecisive on what to make for dinner one night between stuffed peppers and meatloaf. So I came up with this recipe and loved it.
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup quick oats
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄3 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup
- 1 egg
- mozzarella cheese
- Cut red peppers lengthwise clean out the core and seeds and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ground beef, oats, parm. cheese, onions, garlic, basil, worcestershire sauce ketchup and egg. Mix well.
- Divide meat mixture in 4 parts.
- Stuff each part into the red peppers.
- Place stuffed peppers in a casserole dish.
- Bake in oven 30 minutes until meat is cooked through and pepper is slightly roasted.
- Top with cheese ( Sliced or Shredded ) and bake until cheese is slightly melted.
- Served w/ green beans and roasted red potatoes.
I used ground turkey but otherwise followed the ingredient list. The spices were well balanced & seasoned the meat well. I found the meatloaf mixture a tad crumbly, but the cheese & pepper held it together enough for this purpose. The meatloaf is good enough to serve on it's own if so inclined, but it would need to be adjusted if one wanted pretty slices. No oven temperature is given. I had other recipes in the oven so baked at 350 degrees for almost an hour. Thanks for sharing the recipe! I will be making again. Made for Spring 2012 Pick A Chef. :-)
(Update: The chef suggested the problem was due to my use of lean ground turkey & that a firmer texture results when made with ground beef . )