This recipe was given to me by my mother in-law. My DH loves all of my cooking and creations. But he always requests that his meat loaf be made this way.
- In a food processor or blender, puree the onion.
- After the onion is done, mix in two eggs, 1/3°C Milk and set aside the liquid mixture.
- In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, 1 cup of the bread crumbs, spices and the liquid ingredients.
- If the mixture seems too wet, mix in the remaining bread crumbs.
- (Depends on the size and moisture content of the onion.) Cook on a roasting pan at 350 degrees.
- Do not cook in a bread pan, the liquids will stay in the pan with the meat. Not a pretty sight!
- Childhood memory option: Put as many figure sized holes in the top or shape the meat loaf into your favorite childhood action figure. Then fill in the holes with ketchup.
- Adult option: Roll the meat loaf into a log and wrap with the sliced bacon.
Good recipe for meatloaf... I added the optional ketchup but not the bacon and also added a heaped tablespoon of chipotle pepper in adobe that I pureed with the onion because DH always prefers stronger flavours and wanted it in. This is quite a soft meatloaf and it cooked up well. My roasting dish is truely massive and I was worried that if I should spead the meatloaf out then it would be too dry so I put it into a ceramic dish and poured off the excess fat half way though the cooking time and that seemed to go well. Please see my rating system: a lovely 4 stars for a recipe that is versitile and easy and where adding a little extra hot pepper works well for DH too. Thanks!