Recipe by jonesies
You can either purchase packaged lean ground beef or a whole piece of lean beef, such as rump steak, trim off all visible fat, and grind it yourself. Taken from "The Best Ever Low Fat" cookbook.
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 slices bread, crusts removed
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 small beet, cooked and chopped (or use same amount of canned)
- 1 pinch paprika
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 2⁄3 cup tomatoes, strained (or crushed for thinner "sauce-like relish)
- 2 teaspoons horseradish (creamed)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Make tomato relish by mixing the strained tomatoes and cremed horseradish together in a small bowl.
- Cover and set aside until required.
- Put the onion, garlic, and 2 teaspoons of water in a small pan and let simmer over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Increase the heat, bring to a boil and cook until all the water has evaporated.
- Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, teat the bread into pieces and place in a small bowl.
- Add enough cold water just to cover and let soak for 5 minutes.
- Squeeze the excess water from the bread and place in a bowl with the ground beef, onion and garlic mixture, beet, paprika, thyme and egg.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Form the mixture into 24 small balls between the palms of your hands.
- Tread 3 balls onto each of 8 metal skewers and place on a baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes, or until well browned.
- Transfer to serving dish, garnish with few sprigs of fresh thyme if desired and serve with the tomato relish.