Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
My mom made this all the time when I was a kid, I love it! Sometimes I do meatballs and sometimes just get stew meat and toss that in instead to make it super easy. A couple of cloves of garlic don't go amiss in this recipe either. It's very versatile.
- 1⁄2-1 lb ground beef
- 2 carrots
- 1 large potato
- 1 onion
- 3 (1 ounce) packetsmccormick's brown gravy mix
- 2 teaspoons Season-All salt, to taste
- Cube the potato, pieces should be smaller than dice size. (Remember, this is a stew, so it's easier to eat if all the bits fit on your spoon!).
- Slice the carrots. I use a bag of baby carrots instead of 2 large ones. Makes for nice little bits.
- Dice the onion.
- Place all the vegetables in a 2.5 quart (or larger) oven safe crock (with lid). Leave about 2 inches of space to the top.
- Roll ground beef into balls. They should be no bigger than 3/4 inches in diameter about thumbnail size).
- Gently put the meatballs on top of the veggies to avoid crushing them.
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Follow instructions on the gravy packets to make 3 cups of gravy.
- When the gravy is done, stir in some Season All to taste (I use ~2 tsp) & pour it slowly into the crock. Make sure all the meatballs are covered.
- Cover with lid and bake for 1-1.5 hours. Open and gently stir occasionally.
- You may want to put a piece of foil (or foil covered cookie sheet) on the rack below, as this tends to drip over once it begins to boil.