Recipe by PanNan
This slow roasted stew is from Finland. It's adapted from a recipe on scandinaviafood.com. It could easily be adaped to browning on the stove and finishing in the crockpot on low for 8 hours (I would reduce the liquid if cooking in the crockpot).
- 1 lb chuck roast (or other cut suitable for slow braising)
- 1 lb pork shoulder (or other cut suitable for slow braising)
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon allspice
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 onions
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 quart beef stock
- 3 cups mashed potatoes (prepared during the last 30 minutes of roasting time)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cube the meat into one inch cubes. Roughly chop onions. Add oil to a heavy Dutch oven and add the meat and onions to it. Roast in the oven for at least 30 minutes, or until the meat is nicely browned.
- Add the diced carrots, allspice and beef stock. Cover and place back in the oven for about 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or until the meat is tender.
- Serve over mashed potatoes.